Knee pain can be so debilitating that sufferers may have difficulty walking, bending, or even working due to their level of discomfort. A doctor of chiropractic may be able to treat your knee pain and get you back to pain-free living.
Common Knee Pain Diagnoses
The knee is comprised of many tendons and muscles as well as cartilage, menisci, and ligaments. When any aspect of the knee is not working correctly, it can cause tremendous pain. Due to the complexity of the knee, it’s important to see a chiropractor for a diagnosis of what is causing your issue. It could be caused by any one of the following:
- Injury, such as a tear of the meniscus which is the fibrous cushioning between the knee joints. Car accidents are a common scenario wherein the passenger or driver sustains a knee injury when the knee comes into contact with the dashboard or another hard surface on impact with the other vehicle.
- Tight muscles, such as IT band syndrome. Sometimes the extreme tightness is caused by the knee overcompensating for another condition. (See below.)
- Degeneration of a knee joint such as from arthritis which causes a roughening and narrowing of the knee joint space.
- Overcompensation of the knee due to hip, ankle, or foot issues. A doctor of chiropractic may be able to help you by treating the underlying issue as well as the knee injury.
- Runner’s knee, which is pain caused by the quad muscles that are pulling on their attachment.
Sports Activity and Your Knee
Many recreational and professional athletes suffer from acute knee pain due to their physical activity. This is because some sports place an emphasis on knee use and that can cause the knee to malfunction or break down in some way. Sports and activities such as hiking, soccer, running, walking, gardening, dancing, football, hockey, and bicycling can aggravate a knee and cause pain. This does not mean that you will not get to participate in the activity of your choice, but your chiropractor may suggest you take a break while your knee heals and while treatment is ongoing. Each person’s health is particular to that person, so until you receive a diagnosis from your chiropractor, it’s difficult to anticipate how an activity or sport might affect the long term health of your knee.
See a Chiropractor and Experience Relief
If you are suffering from knee pain, don’t hold off on making an appointment with a Chiropractor such as the doctor for knee pain Rockville MD locals turn to. Until the underlying cause is identified and treated, by trying to ignore the pain you may be putting your health at further risk. Also, by seeing a doctor sooner rather than later, your days of suffering can be put behind you.
Thanks to authors at Pain and Arthritis Center for insight into Injury and Chiropractic care.