Steps to Legally Change Your Name after the Wedding

The wedding ceremony is the most important day of celebrating, as a banquet hall Glendale CA couples love can attest. However, there are a lot of other important tasks to keep in mind while you plan your big day.

When you get married, you have the option of keeping your maiden name or changing your last name to your partner’s. If you are planning on changing your last name, there are steps you need to take in order to begin the process of contacting all the appropriate entities to inform them of your name change.

One important thing to consider is when you should change your name. Your first instinct might be to change your name immediately, but it is recommended that you wait until you return from your honeymoon, especially if you are going to be traveling. If something needs to be addressed during your travels, it will be much easier if your name matches on all your travel documents, identification, credit cards, etc.

Changing Your Legal Name

The first step you need to take is to get an official copy of your marriage certificate. This can be obtained from the town or county clerk where you were married. Since you are obtaining one copy, you may want to consider getting two copies so you will have an extra one for your records. It is also best to get a long copy version of your certificate since some of the agencies you need to contact will not accept any other version.

The first change you should make is with the Social Security Administration. In addition to the certificate, you will want to bring a state-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license. You can also use your passport. The Social Security Administration will notify the IRS of your name change.

Speaking of driver’s license, your next stop should be with the DMV where you can change your name on your license and your vehicle registration. And don’t forget to notify the State Department in order to have the name on your passport changed.

The next stop should be your financial institution to have your name changed on all accounts. You will probably need to obtain new checks and debit cards with your new name.

Creditors should also be notified of your name change, including vehicle loans and mortgages. Any credit card companies will also need to send you new cards with your name change. And don’t forget to contact utility companies.

And in order to keep those paychecks coming in order to pay those creditors, don’t forget to let your employer know your name has legally changed.

You should also contact your attorney to let them know of your name change. If you have any estate planning documents, your attorney can make the appropriate name changes, however, now that you are married, you and your spouse should meet with your attorney and make all appropriate changes to wills and trusts.

Other name change notifications you will need to make include:

  •        Professional organizations
  •        Unions
  •        Homeowner’s association
  •        Insurance companies
  •        Medical care providers
  •        Alumni association
  •        Voter registration office
  •        Club memberships
  •        Social media accounts
  •        Post office
  •        Landlord (if you rent)

Thanks to our friends and contributors from Metropol Banquet for their insight into wedding planning.