Personal Injury Lawyers
Pedestrian accidents can be very serious and can cause significant injuries. If you are injured in a pedestrian accident, here are some important steps to take according to an abogado de lesiones personales from Unidos Legales:
- Seek Medical Attention: The first priority after any accident is to seek medical attention. Even if you feel okay, it’s important to get checked out by a medical professional to ensure there are no hidden injuries. Some injuries, such as head injuries or internal bleeding, may not be immediately apparent. It is also important to get your medical process on record.
- Call the Police: If you are able to, call the police to report the accident. The police will create a report of the incident which can be useful in any future legal proceedings. Be sure to get a copy of the report for your records. Also, do not supply too much information as that can be used against you. When talking to the police, only state the facts.
- Exchange Information: Exchange contact and insurance information with the driver involved in the accident. If there were any witnesses, get their contact information as well. You should also get the names of all medical personnel and police on site.
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the scene of the accident, including the damage to the vehicle and any injuries you sustained. Write down the date, time, and location of the accident, as well as any relevant details about the road conditions, weather, and traffic. Videos are even better if you can.
- Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer: If you were injured in the pedestrian accident, contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. A personal injury lawyer can help protect your rights and ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and other damages resulting from the accident. They can also deal with your insurance company.
- Follow Up with Medical Treatment: Follow any medical treatment prescribed by your doctor or medical professional. If you need to miss work or have ongoing medical expenses, keep track of these expenses and keep receipts for any out-of-pocket expenses related to your injury. Make sure these expenses are also documented as out-of-pocket in the records the hospital supplies you.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: If you have auto insurance or health insurance, notify your insurance company about the accident. They can help you with filing a claim and obtaining any necessary medical treatment. You can contact a lawyer first to ensure your claim is accepted right off the bat.
- Be Careful with What You Say: Avoid making statements to the driver or their insurance company that could be used against you later. Stick to the facts and avoid admitting fault. Contact a lawyer and let them speak for you.
In conclusion, if you are injured in a pedestrian accident, it’s important to take these steps to protect your rights and ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries. By seeking medical attention, calling the police, exchanging information, documenting the scene, contacting a personal injury lawyer, following up with medical treatment, notifying your insurance company, and being careful with what you say, you can begin the process of recovering from the accident and obtaining the compensation you deserve. Contact a personal injury lawyer near you after an accident for legal representation.